Who would you be without that thought?


Ask yourself in the situation 1. Is it true? 2. Can you absolutely know that its true?  3. How do you react, what happens, when you believe that thought? 4. Who would you be without the thought? Byron Katie author
I absolutely love Byron Katie’s work; I have learnt so many lessons from her and her experiences.  Many times I have found myself running with a thought or a story without considering anything but my ego! Now I ask myself the questions, is it true? And who would I be without the thought? Usually it’s not true or I don’t know for sure if it is and I am a happy camper without the thought! So instead of me hopelessly trying to change the world to match my thoughts about how it “should” be, I can question these thoughts and, by meeting reality as it is, experience a state of peace and as we say in Trinidad , “don’t fight up”
So from this I have changed my “should’s” and I have stopped stressing about people “shoulding” on me! I’ve learnt that when you argue with reality, you suffer!
What is more empowering? Shoulding and wishing or accepting reality as it is and dealing with it, making a decision to move! Massive action! We spend more time wishing reality is different rather than taking action to move, to make it the way we desire and the first step is acceptance!
So for me, I have accepted the reality that I am here by choice and to focus on making the most of the opportunity rather than thinking, wishing and saying maybe I should go and make some more money in a conventional job so that I can pay off all my debts! Once I accepted it I can take action and be at peace!

Ok update from yesterday’s road trip.  Road signs? Hell naw! I stopped in a petrol station and asked the attendant, how do I get to Lake Victoria? “Aye! (say it in your highest tone of voice) a whole lot of laughing then”Madam, you are not close it is very many miles drive” I love how they say very many. Ok, can you give me directions please? Yes madam come out here turn this way and drive until you see it! I could not stop laughing!!! Anyways, I found it, I was like an hour and a half away, Africa is pretty big I’ve learnt!

Found the lake, there was sand and all, chilled out there and then I saw a “nuts man” with nuts on his head somehow he didn’t bellow out salt or fresh! One can hope! Anyways spent the day at the lake and set off on my way back! Didn’t pay attention and got in a bit of a bother, police stopped me and I admit I played dumb tourist! Worked a treat! No Kitikidogo nothing!!
So what did I learn today?
What a place!, very beautiful country! Safe and sound back at base! If I look for the best in every situation, person, place and thing I am really on the path

Peace!!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism