Discern, act appropriately, and move on


When you have an emotional reaction to what you see, you are judging. That is your signal that you have an issue inside of yourself - with yourself - not with the other person. If you react to evil, look inside yourself for the very thing that so agitates you, and you will find it. If it were not there, you will simply discern, act appropriately, and move on." - Gary Zukav, page 157 from his book "Soul to Soul". Zukav is a best-selling inspirational author

Woke up early this morning to take a run. Have I ever told you about an African sunrise? It’s pretty awesome! It just seems that the entire process moves in slow motion, the sun seems larger and more colorful, it takes up the entire sky. I must say it’s one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! I never get tired of seeing it and every time I do I shout WOW!!!! And if I am on the road running I get these strange looks!! Anyway I digress, I came out of the compound and saw the kids playing, I’m thinking, it’s near bloody seven am what are they doing on the road? What made me stop was the “toys” they were playing with. Old juice cartons cut out to be trucks, airplanes, boats and vines from trees as a fishing rod. As I stopped, the boys, who couldn’t be more than five years old, said “Madam, hi hi see this” and peals of laughter!!

Right there and then I realized well how can I look at this situation? Can I look at it like from a point of view of limitation and lack. They have no proper toys, shoes or clothes or from a point of view of joy, they were soooooo happy with their toys and for me stopping to see what they created! I choose to look at it from the joy point of view and I smiled all the way through the run! What a great way to start a Sunday morning!

So what did I learn today?
Take time to really observe the world you are walking in, breathing in, living in. Look at the people walking by you and hold the thought, “I have something in common with each one of them or else we would not be on the same street at the same time” Pay attention to what you are looking at in your world. Pause for the beautiful and the not so beautiful. Take time to actually appreciate what you can see and feel.

Peace!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism