The only feelings you really need to fear are those you ignore


An emotion swept under the rug is not an emotion that goes away; it’s simply an emotion that is put somewhere other than where it should be put. It becomes inert rather than dynamic energy, stored within you rather than being released. Defending against being overwhelmed by your emotions, you actually create emotions that are overwhelming. You begin by trying to keep your emotions at bay, eat them, go numb instead of feeling them—and in so doing, create a situation that causes you an endless run of painful emotions. By trying to escape your feelings, you create a whole slew of them that will arrive full force once you realize what you’ve done. The only feelings you really need to fear are those you ignore. (Marianne Williamson, another boss teacher and author!!!)

Confession time on the journey, yesterday I was not feeling the Ugandan love! I wanted to be somewhere else! What triggered these feelings? I have learnt that something always triggers these feelings especially when old ones are left unattended!

I get angry at the what I think is mass disorder, when there are rules and they are broken. On the roads all rules are broken, this trigger ‘s my anger. Driving yesterday was a trigger!

Then at work, I prefer to deal with conflicts with a loving approach, minus shouting and blaming! This is not a sentiment shared! There was a lot of shouting and fireworks and firing.

Went to the bank to conduct a transaction and the Internet was down so they asked me to wait. As I was waiting they decided to have lunch, big plates of food! I was soooooo hungry but no one offered and I didn’t ask! I’m thinking where in the west will I ever walk into the bank and the tellers are eating lunch at their stations during work hours? Never saw it before!

So what’s the trigger? I was judging! I was judging the place. Ok so things are done differently here, so what? What does judging it do? Clearly it triggers something inside me. Judging brings my ego into play!

So what did I learn today? Acceptance, stop judging and pointing fingers and you begin to accept people as they are and to overlook their shortcomings and human
frailties…and in the process a sense of peace and contentment is born
 
Peace!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism