What Do You Value?

Your self worth is a function of how you value yourself. To build your self worth you must first discover your values and then make up your own definition of success. Your values are nothing more than what you value in life. You probably already know that society places excessive value on the outward appearances of success, such as money, material possessions, physical appearance, marital status, career and so on. In contrast, little consideration is ever given to the loftier values of a person, such as love, integrity, kindness, emotional intelligence, forgiveness and inner balance, when defining one's success. This means that we have a warped definition of success based largely on outward appearances, which really results in a warped sense of self worth. Tania Kotsos

Yesterday a Tropical Storm hit the islands, there were all sorts of storm warnings, advisories, information given to secure your valuables and be safe. I sat at home thinking okay, what do I value? What would be the one thing or the things I value in this moment. 
Confessions on the journey- I thought abut my passport! then I laughed. Of all the things you want to save - a piece of paper? It means a lot to me to be free to roam the world. 
Okay, so what else?
Knowing that all my friends and family are healthy and safe
I was also thinking about the vulnerable people in society. Where are they in the storm? Are they safe? 
It triggered a whole number of questions on what I value and what I think are important in my life and how those values translate into the way I live. It is not always easy to go against the status quo, people judge us on how we look, what we wear, if we drive a car or not, where we are employed whether or not it is an ethical company or you are happy matters not, these are the things that society looks at in determining our "success" 
It is important for us to know what we value, because it helps shape how we live. No judgement , no heat! 

Peace 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism