No One is Out Of Place

We are all different, which is great because we are all unique. Without diversity life would be very boring.” Catherine Pulsifer

This morning I accompanied a friend of mine to her old secondary school, they invited her back to speak and take part in one of their events, recognizing her as one of the school's esteemed past pupils
As we stood there while they fussed over her, she asked to walk around the campus so we decided to take the walk. As we were walking she pointed out where her class room was, the labs and started giving stories about her time at the school
When we were finished she was quite pensive and quiet, then she said, I really did not have a good time or very fond memories of this place. In hindsight I know that many of the experiences shaped me into who I am today but it is clear now to me that I put them out of my head and as I return here today after over ten years I feel totally out of place, like I still don't belong

What happens when we treat people who are different to us, look different to us, speak differently, dress differently in a way that leaves them out? What happens when we ostrasize others because of the colour of their skin, their religion, their address? More importantly what happens to them when they do not have a strong sense of self nor a network of support?
Many times they feel ashamed and with that some of them act from that place of shame - thinking perhaps that something is wring with them
Other times they feel inadequate - they never feel good enough
Sometimes they become indifferent and not care about anything or anyone

Be mindful of how you treat people that seem different, that look different, that act different
Diversity is a beautiful thing, it allows for different views and opinions, for growth.
It provides avenues for changing the world....
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism