Do You Have Holiday Rituals?

Get to know yourselves
We spend time looking outside of ourselves to tell us who WE are, Take time to know who you are
Iyanla Vanzant

A very cool lady that I have the previledge of knowing asked me why do I go away and spend time alone over the holidays. The way she asked it I received it with such care and love, there was no judgement attached nor did it felt that she thought I was strange for doing it. For the first time I did not start off answering by being defensive and feeling that I had to justify why I do it.
And what I came up with is - spending time with myself ususally quietly impacts how I live my life that upcoming year, it assists in me getting to know me- what works , what did not work, it gives me time to self correct and self forgive. Christmas time always seemed to me growing up t be such a busy time, lots happening at home, there was always the expectation of paining the house, varnishing the chairs, getting new curtains, people invading the house, cooking. I craved quiet. There were times I would go to my room and stay there and all hell would break loose- y folks would come upstairs and demand that I come downstairs, that I stop the anti-social behaviour and stop embarrassing them. So I would go downstairs as requested. Showing up, sitting around the table listening to the stories and watching the action happening.
As I grew up, I decided that I would decide whether I would want to be around a ton load of people for the holiday season or not and did that a few times. What works for me is taking that quiet time to reflect and reboot
I really enjoy being in a quiet spot to recharge my batteries
This year will be no different I am mixing some quiet time with some learning
What are some of your holiday rituals?
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism