Failure or Evolution?

“Folks, it's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because, um – they're no longer relevant. We're supposed to keep evolving. Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs. You do know that, right?” 
― Bill Hicks


Very often, we define ourselves by what we want or dream of.
Yet when our lives shape us differently we often think we have failed, that we are settling for less, because we weren’t good enough to become or have what we wanted.
Certainly, as we experience our limitations this sometimes feels true, yet even through our limitations we evolve rather than fail
do not be afraid of evolution, it is the revolution of you
The truth is what we want or dream of doesn’t  always last. It tends to serve its purpose in our evolution and then fades away, losing its relevance at that point in time on our journey

 And we do enormous damage to ourselves by insisting on carrying on what has in fact died
I was fired as the Chief Financial Officer of a company and because being an accountant defined me I worked damm hard at becoming a young and successful one, I literally lost my mind but in hindsight, this evolution propelled a life with purpose and authenticity

What I have learnt is that living up to a dream is rarely as important as entering it for all it has to teach, the lessons
And now, here I am giving the feature address at the International Conference for the Chartered Accountants of Trinidad and Tobago, comfortable in my own skin  and comfortable enough to show up. Real.

keep dreaming.keep evolving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism