Let go of all illusions of a split identity

 




To affirm, “I am spirit” is to let go of all illusions of a split identity, of a good and bad self, and of all attempts we might make to somehow reconcile the ego self that is bound to a body with the spiritual self that is unlimited by a body. ACIM


Growing up, I was given a list of things at Sunday School then at Confirmation class, then at home which were on the "bad list". That meant, if I did any of those things I would immediately and automatically turn into a bad person and go straight to hell. Now there were some items on that list I wanted to question - how can wearing micro shorts send me to hell, or partying at a club? Doesn't God want us to have fun? As I grew older, I would see my friends and neighbors doing things on the list and they did not go to hell, in fact, they seemed to be quite happy going about their business. I decided to bring up the topic with my grandmother - naturally! 

"Who told you that rubbish?" she went on a tirade about brainwash and think for yourself child, think think!

She would go on to add her own items to the list, which I thought was so ironic, leaving me with "don't let people fool you, make your own enquiries then choose"

I forgot about this conversation, today reading ACIM, I am reminded that I am spirit, not good, not bad. I am part of the Universe. I am reminded to not judge others as I have no idea of their own story. I am reminded of my sacred responsibility of being a spirit.

Peace

Akosua's Latest Book is Available 

Order Now What? on Amazon

Order Now What? at Barnes and Noble

Order Now What? Balboa Press

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism