Personal Growth demands Emotional Maturity

 Personal growth is not about removing all internal and external difficulties, it is about improving the way you handle them so that they no longer crush you when they appear. Yung Pueblo 

Growing up, I somehow got into my head that if I was a good person, prayed and did right, I will experience zero difficulties. I believed that only bad people had bad experiences. Well how off base was I! When life happened to me I thought the sky was falling in, wasn't I a "good person" was I not doing the right things and following the formula? Then whatever the hell is going on? 

What I learnt is, life is fleeting, and so are all the events associated with life. There will always be positive and negative times, experiences come to support in building our character, patience and faith. The experiences we receive in life push us to emotional maturity. Life will keep repeating the lessons until we get it. It's nothing personal.. 

When we are emotionally mature we are able to stay grounded during tough times and appreciate the bumper times.

Developing self awareness allows us to see and note our progress. It allows us to leave out judgement of self when we are in the storm making the same decisions over and over that does not serve us. It also allows us to take responsibility and be accountable to ourselves.

How do we develop self awareness? Pay attention to your feelings, check in with yourself, rather than run from it, deny it, hide it. Get curious and let the feelings guide you, then take action. Leave the self judgement out of the equation.

Unwanted challenges will occasionally appear in our lives. Our only option then is to build the inner awareness to witness our own struggle when things go wrong and to then rise above our negative reactions so that we can respond to the situation in a productive manner.

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Redefinition of Lose