Expressing Ourselves

 There is something about our culture that looks down on showing emotion. We’re just not huge fans of allowing people to feel things out in the open. Living in this kind of society teaches the people in it to deny what they’re actually feeling. We’re constantly pretending. Nedra Tawwab

Hello Lovelies

I loved this so much from Nedra, I am sharing...

In some instances, like when you’re at work, you may not want to burst into tears, or if you’re around people you don’t know that well you may not feel comfortable being vulnerable. But that doesn’t mean to shove those feelings down and never feel them. It’s ok to put things off for a moment, as long as that moment doesn’t become forever.

There can be some value in compartmentalizing. It is ok to tell yourself, “I can’t feel this at the moment, but at some point today, I’m going to allow myself the time and space to really feel the impact of this.” Just to be clear, compartmentalizing doesn’t mean that you don’t revisit those emotions. It means that you pause for a moment, do what you need to do, and then come back to them later.

This doesn’t just apply to sad or challenging emotions either. Sometimes before I’m about to do something really big, something that I’ve been dreaming of and working toward, I journal about it. I ask myself how I’m feeling and give myself the space to process. I pre-feel my feelings. Then, in the moment I can be fully present and not overwhelmed by my feelings because I’ve already acknowledged how amazing the experience is.

It can be really harmful to exist in a space where you insist that you don’t care about the things that are happening to you. Sometimes we just need to cry. We need to be angry. We need to allow ourselves to really process the jealousy we’re feeling. When we don’t, those feelings will find other ways to make themselves known. We may be passive aggressive, or respond in a way that is over the top for the given situation because our emotions have been building for a while.

We have to give ourselves room to feel, which can be uncomfortable. We may not want others to see us in various emotional states. One time I looked in the mirror as I was crying and it stopped me from crying because it looked so bad. Your face is all puffy, your nose is running. I get it. It may not be how you want to be seen, but it is what you need to do."

Excerpts from Nedra's Nuggets

https://www.nedratawwab.com/

Akosua's Books

Nyabo(Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on The Journey to Unconditional Love



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism