Boundaries not Walls

 

Are you angry because someone crossed a boundary or angry because you didn’t set one? Maryam Hasnaa





Confessions on the Journey - Maintaining boundaries are tough for me. As a recovering people pleaser, speaking up when the boundaries that I have set are crossed have been a challenge.

I say to myself - who wants to annoy other people? who wants to feel uncomfortable?

What I have started to ask myself is - what if there is healing on the other side of this?

Your healing has to be a priority in your life, it has to be more important than pleasing others because you want them to like you, be happy with you. 

Boundaries say I respect myself enough to hold true to my values and beliefs about myself. Setting boundaries is a gesture of self-love, worthiness and respect. When you have clear boundaries you cannot be taken advantage of.

Melodie Beattie says "boundaries emerge from deep within, they are connected to letting go of guilt and shame. Things change because we have changed"

Practice setting boundaries, practice upholding them, it takes time and effort. When mastered watch how your life changes, people who respect you will remain and those who don't will fall off. Foolproof! 

Peace

Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism