Stories we tell Ourselves

 Where there is no story, there is no suffering - Eckhart Tolle 




There is a difference between telling a story and making up a story. There is a difference is sharing your story and sharing a story you made up. Telling your story usually comes from a place of sharing, learning and empowering. Making up a story is usually from a place of not knowing, fear and ego. (Of course I am not referring to when you do this for a living)

I love stories, I love hearing them, I love telling them. What I am now learning is that there is a difference between THE story and making up a story.

Eckhart Tolle broke it down so well, his explanation created a moment of healing for me. Something happens in our life, most times, something that is unpleasant, uncomfortable, out of your control. We don't have all the details, we don't like it, we want to know, we want to be sure, we want to change and fix it. We make up stories to fill in the gaps, to make ourselves feel in control, to be right, to be different, for me I will add to win, to not fail.

Most of the time, the story is all in your head about what, why, who and on and on.

The reality is, the stories we make up are usually not true, they are many times based on fear on ego. I have started paying attention to the stories that I have been making up, especially when they send me into a state of suffering. I observe my mind. When I realize that I am making up a story, I say oh- this is a story! stops me from continuing, I intend to practice this to allow me to recognize when I am making up stories. This will save me a lot of suffering.

The approach is to look at what is placed in front of me, deal with it in the moment and with Prescence, if I am unable to deal with it in the moment, I  put it down to deal with later on. No more making up stories to fill in the blanks. There is no problem without a story and there is no you are not wrong and you are not right. This is just what is.

Peace

Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism