Does Inner Peace come from "Killing it"?

 Please do not try to achieve your way to serenity: I assure you that it cannot be done. Look around for evidence of this truth — nobody has ever, ever accomplished inner peace through the act of “killing it” yet, despite all their most heroic efforts. Accomplishments do not bring a lasting sense of ease; they only bring a need for further accomplishments — and the list of things you need to get done will never end. Unless, just for a moment, you stop doing them. Unless you stop trying. Elizabeth Gilbert 


Achieving goals and objectives are a significant part of the  experience we  call life. We are told, reminded and encouraged to set goals, work hard, achieve the goals and life will be a cake walk. We will be rewarded with everything that we want.

What we were probably not told, or forgot is that without balance, the constant need and aspiration to achieve goals becomes a challenge. Achievement of goals must be balanced with peace of mind, with rest, with service, with self care, with reflection. This is something that I have learnt over time and sometimes as a harsh lesson.

I set goals, I achieve them, I want more. I set goals I don't achieve them, doubt, lack of confidence and all its brothers and sisters of imposter syndrome, feeling down, mental health challenges and so on rear their heads.

So what is the balance and how do we achieve that?

Ask Yourself:

1. What is the intention behind the achievement of these goals? Whose voice is it in your head? Is it yours. your mama, your papa, society, your teacher who you need to  prove right or wring?

2. Do I rest and reflect after achieving the goal? set or do I jump from one thing to the next whether the goal is achieved or not? 

3. How do I  FEEL after achieving your goals and objectives?

4. Do I  celebrate my wins?

These prompts supported me as I journeyed on 

What I have learnt is, no amount of achieving goals without rest, reflection will bring you to a feeling of inner peace. That comes from within, it comes from loving yourself no matter what.

The achievement is just the icing on the cake

Peace and Blessings

Akosua's Books



 IG



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Redefinition of Lose