In September We Remember

 So many of the beliefs we hold are based on unexamined assumptions, things that were put upon us early in life before we could critically think about them or discern  Deborah L. Johnson 


I love a good story, I love to hear a good story, I love to tell a good story and I love to write a good story. Stories form a huge part of how I live.
I remember sitting in the living room hearing the older folks talk. The would be animated, laughing and clapping just from a good story. I would find and make so many excuses to get water, to go back into the kitchen for ice, and all sorts because, of course, they were telling stories "for grown folks" I was curious to know what made all these women so animated and happy.
All that to say that some stories bring a sense of joy and togetherness and then there are some stories that we make up to "fill in the blanks", that bring stress and anxiety. There are other stories that we inherit and adopt without questioning it even if it is harmful, unsupportive and no longer serves us.

I have been paying attention to the stories that I consume, that I make up, that I buy wholesale without question or curiosity.
This exercise has proven to be quite fruitful as it stops me from going down a rabbit hole of fear, worry and stress when I assume and make up stories that are not only without the facts but are based on worst case scenarios.

One of the Four Agreements from  the Don Miguel Ruiz classic book says make no assumptions, have the courage to ask. It sounds simple, however it takes practice especially when we prefer to live in an illusion or believe that the truth may drastically change our lives. It makes sense though, to act from a space of truth rather than illusion and stories.

We must be able to observe experience in a way where we know things will be uncomfortable and there is no certainty.- to ask ourselves and others the challenging questions
.
May  love begin to inform our decisions -
May love begin to inform  our thought processes
and that love in this case is rooted in asking rather than assuming 
Peace and Blessings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Redefinition of Lose