August is a month of Standards
This month, I found myself returning to Nathaniel Branden’s work on self‑esteem, not as theory, but as a mirror. His writing reminded me that self‑respect is not a feeling you wait for; it is a practice you build. It is shaped by the choices you make when no one is watching, the boundaries you hold when it would be easier not to, and the truth you speak even when your voice trembles.
As I step into August, I am choosing to make self‑respect a daily ritual. Not a lofty ideal, not a performance, but a lived commitment. These four guidelines distilled from Branden’s teachings and my own lived experience are the pillars I’m practising this month and beyond.
1. Look inward, not outward.: I am releasing the old habit of measuring myself through someone else’s lens.External validation is a moving target , and chasing it is a guaranteed way to lose myself.My value is inherent. My worth is not up for public negotiation.
This month, I am practising trusting the divine guidance.
2. Drop the excuses.: I can find a million excuses in the moment to justify why I did not or will not keep the promises I made to myself, but they erode self‑trust.
Ownership, on the other hand, builds power.
It is not about blame, it is about choosing to be the author of my life and take responsibility for my actions
This month, I am practising radical accountability. No stories. No detours. Just truth.
3. Speak your truth:Self‑respect requires honesty.
I am honouring my needs, my values, and my voice without shrinking or shape‑shifting to keep the peace.
Silencing myself has never protected me; it has only distanced me from myself.
Refuse to fake who you are just to avoid someone else's temporary discomfort.In August, I am choosing authenticity over approval.
4. Avoid the danger of Self Betrayal: Every time I betray myself to avoid discomfort, I lose a piece of my centre.Self‑respect means saying “no” when “no” is the truth, even if it disrupts someone else’s expectations.
This month, I am practising boundaries as a form of self‑love.
Self‑respect is a daily practice.
Not a declaration. Not a mood.
A practice.
A way of living that says:
I am on my own side. I honour my own truth. I choose myself without apology.
As I move through August, these four commitments are my compass.
They are how I return to myself, again and again, with clarity, courage, and compassion.
Which one are you working on today?
Peace and Blessings

Comments
Post a Comment