When the Body Refuses to Negotiate
Alicia M. Rodriguez says, “The mind is a skilled negotiator… The body is a ledger.”
I didn’t fully understand that until my own body staged a quiet rebellion.
I didn’t fully understand that until my own body staged a quiet rebellion.
The mind can declare a matter closed.
It can say, I’ve processed that.
It can produce evidence , the therapy sessions, the journaling, the books read, the years that passed, the calm composure at the dinner table. The mind is brilliant at convincing us that we have moved on.
But the body…
The body does not negotiate.
The body does not perform.
The body simply records.
For a long time, this was just a concept to me , something people said in healing circles, something I skimmed past in books. Then came the shoulder injury. Bizarre, stubborn, unexplainable. I did everything: physio, therapy, rest, stretching, strengthening. I stopped driving. I stopped running. I stopped doing the things that made me feel like myself. And still, the pain stayed. It lived in me like a tenant refusing eviction.
I read The Body Keeps the Score and still remained a skeptic. Interesting ideas, yes. But surely my shoulder pain was physical, mechanical, muscular , something that could be fixed with enough discipline and enough appointments.
Then a very close relationship , one that had shaped me, held me, stretched me , came to an end.
And the pain left.
Not gradually.
Not with a final physio session.
Not with a new exercise routine.
It simply… left.
One day I realized, Oh wow… my shoulder doesn’t hurt. And in that moment, everything made sense. The body had been holding what my mind insisted was resolved. The body had been waiting for me to tell the truth. The body had been asking me to pay attention.
This is what I’m learning:
We often hold on to situations long after our mind has declared them complete. We say, I’m fine. We say, I’ve processed it. We say, I’ve moved on. But the body whispers, Not yet. The body says, Deal with it. The body says, I’m still carrying what you refuse to feel.
And when we finally stop resisting , when we stop denying, when we stop negotiating with ourselves ,the release feels like a miracle. Not because the pain magically disappears, but because the truth finally has space to breathe.
The body keeps score.
Not to punish us.
Not to shame us.
But to guide us back to what is real.
I am learning to listen to my body as closely as I listen to my mind. To notice where tension gathers. To notice what tightens when I pretend. To notice what softens when I tell the truth. The body is always speaking. The question is whether we are willing to hear it.
Sometimes healing is not about doing more.
Sometimes it is about finally acknowledging what the body has been carrying all along.
And when we do when we honor the ledger instead of negotiating with it ,the shift feels like grace.
Peace and Blessings

Comments
Post a Comment