The Ego Only Lives for Itself

 It is impossible for the ego to feel the suffering of the soul. It only lives for itself. It's major source of satisfaction is being right - Lise Bourbeau


Yesterday,  while having a conversation with a group of ladies, I caught myself going down the road of proving to be right. I wanted to be so right so badly, I started interrupting them while they spoke, I started trembling because I felt as if I was losing control. I was ready to literally weep to stop the conversation to get them to "see what I meant". 

When I realized that the tone of the conversation was changing  to become a full on argument, I took ten seconds to breathe,  it became clear that I was in living in my ego, from my ego.

Why? I wanted to prove to them that they were wrong and I was right, I wanted my own way. I wanted to feel validated and was willing to do whatever it takes. Underneath that was a feeling of fear and resentment.

When I act from this space I know that there are some lessons that I have to recall, some lessons I forget:

1. There is nothing to prove - say what you have to say and leave it there.

2. Let people be - it is not your role to police others, your role is to live your life as a demonstration of what you believe. Those who are in your tribe will be around, stay around and feel comfortable enough to converse with you. Those who are not of your tribe will feel threatened, disrespected and offended. You then choose.

3. Listen to others - there is always something that you can learn.

4. Don't take things personally and be honest.

As I took the time to breathe, I changed my approach to speaking my truth rather than wanting to be prove or be agreed with. This approach takes practice and tucking your ego aside, but trust me, it's great for inner peace!

Peace

From now until January 7th

From Confusion to Clarity - A Workbook

Link it here

From Confusion to Clarity - A Free Workbook



Now What? Akosua's Latest Book

Drops March 2021

Pre Order Now What

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism