What Does Support Look Like to You?

 You save yourself energy when you learn to ask people what they need, instead of assuming you know best then acting on your own impulses. Allowing people to define what support looks like gives you an ability to assess if you have the capacity to show up - Minaa B


If someone asks you right now, what does support look like to you, what would be your answer?

It takes self reflection , self awareness and more importantly a whole load of authenticity to answer.

On the flip side, do you rush to support others without them even asking- there may be times when that is required, however many a time we assume that we know what others want and need. The times when we do assume, after a while a feeling of resentment builds because "how could they be so ungrateful?" or "why are they not seeing their need for my help?" the other classic is "they must need my help to show them because they clearly are not seeing that they need support"

We continue to assume what others need, keep providing it and it results in resentment on both sides.

I have learnt to ask - how can I support you?, what does support look like to you in this moment?

and if I am not ready to ask I just say - I am here for you. When I work up the courage I ask the questions.

When the questions are asked we must be ready to show up- showing up also means saying listen the support you need I am unable to give you. Acknowledging this and saying this takes courage and readiness.

I have also learnt to say what I need in response to anyone asking the same question - "how can I support you?" Sometimes the answer may be I need a time out, some space to just be.

What does support look like for you?

Peace

Now What?

Akosua's  latest book is out now for pre-order

Now What? Pre Order Here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

Sensible Optimism