Eleven Things

 Let people support you. Let yourself need. Let yourself not try to hold it all up on your own. Let your knees wobble in front of others. Let hurt and hope be held. Let your flaws exist out loud. Let yourself fail. Let yourself not know. Let yourself embrace help. Let yourself detach from the notion of needing equaling weakness. Let yourself listen to what may be made easier by no longer trying to do it alone. Lisa Olivera



11 THOUGHTS IN THIS 11TH MONTH

1. I recently had a penny dropping moment - the one where a realization comes with a type of force. Crying in front others is not a sign of weakness. I was of the view  for a very long time that if I displayed this emotion that I would be thought of as a weak person. Interestingly enough, when other people cry, display their emotions, I would feel so happy for them, hold space for them and see them as courageous. So why did I ever see expressing myself with tears as weak. I was taught to handle my business, to fix it, to get things done, no complaints, no surrender! So now, with new amazing people in my life, I feel safe to feel all my feelings. Feeling all my feelings is a type of freedom.

2. When we share our innermost thoughts, feelings and trauma with others, the intention behind sharing this matters. I thought about why I share in different forums. On a stage, my expectation is that it may let others know that they are not alone, others are experiencing same or similar. In a relationship, I realized that I shared with the intention of feeling safe and the expectation of changed behavior. When the behavior remains the same I go nuts! What is safer is to choose peace, to choose self, its damm hard though.

3. Life does not have a manual however, there are some Universal laws which promote a peaceful life. When we are not following these Universal Laws, life and the Universe will continue to give us clues, its up to us to pay attention. The Law of Relativity is one that I must remind myself of often. This law explains why two people can go through the same situation but have two entirely different experiences. Understanding this law helps you prioritize inner peace over defending the truth because “truth” is relative anyway.

4. Its still the simple things that count for me - seeing the sun rise, hearing the waterfall, the waves crash, eating a home cooked meal that I like. 

5. I still feel at sea when it comes to a "career" I mean, having titles and labels are for others. I like to be a vessel, a conduit. How does that translate into living a comfortable life? There are times I lean on the fact that I come from the Source of all things, other times I fall into fear of "how can I live comfortably" The work continues

6. This too shall pass remains one of my favorite lessons ever. A new day, a new time comes and things change in a minute. What do we do in the meantime?

7. Let yourself off the hook - all the striving and proving is unnecessary. What and who are we proving to and why? 

8. Ask yourself "what is your why?" and be completely honest about it. Many times we do things because you have always done it like that, to prove yourself to others, in fear, because someone told you to do it, you believe it's your personality. When someone comes along and challenges what you do, you go berserk. Rather than get curious, you get defensive and hold on to your own status quo. Even if it causes strife. Ask yourself what is your why and get curious.

9. How do I find a way to pause - I call it "stay inside my self, rather than jump out" When the pressure comes, the love is shaken, the stress is mounting. I have started doing the work, journaling, walking, taking a drive, affirmations. This is also damm hard.

10. In everything give thanks - changes the way you view a situation.

11. Tend to your heart, your soul, your spirit - laugh, watch the sun rise, watch the sun set, see the full moon, see the full moon rise, sing, dance, create a playlist, be still, walk on the sand barefeet, ride a wave, feel the cold water of a river, eat real food, grow your food.

Peace

Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism