Love Liberates

 Love Liberates - Maya Angelou 



I have had some relationships in my life, let me tell you! I strongly believed that I was in love and in a healthy relationship. I can safely say now that I was not in love nor was I in a healthy relationship, particularly in my marriage.  So what did I learn about love and relationships?

1. What Maya Angelou says resonates - Love liberates, you feel free, light, even in the tough times

2. Love does not control, demand, be inflexible and manipulate

3. Wanting our own way all the time does not help

4. As Lauryn Hill says, respect is the minimum - no respect, no healthy relationship

5. Lies - well what can I say here? Anything draped with lies never turn out well- don't tell them and don't accept them

6. Neglecting responsibilities or self-care to take care of the other person when they are not ill, it mainly due to fear of losing them, is definitely a red flag 

7. Do not settle!

And the biggest lesson of all has been to love and value myself. This is the cornerstone of all healthy relationships. How I see, view, value and myself

In the past it was about "being chosen" now it is about choosing myself.

Peace and Blessings

Akosua's Books


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism