You cannot lose something that you are

Give up defining yourself - to yourself or to others. You won't die. You will come to life. And don't be concerned with how others define you. When they define you, they are limiting themselves, so it's their problem. Whenever you interact with people, don't be there primarily as a function or a role, but as the field of conscious Presence. You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.” 
― Eckhart TolleA New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose


I love Eckart Tolle's work, I was listeneing to a podcast by him this morning, it was such a timely reminder for me that I am not my thoughts, it also reminded me that we all have an ego however it is up to us if we identify with the ego self. His explanation of what the ego is nailed it for me
He says the ego means to be indentified with the mind, with thought, structires, opinions and points of view, to the extent that you derive your sense of self, who you are with these structures and these thoughts. When we identify with mental structures only, you are operating from the ego
you want to be right
your point of view is the best
you want to prove others wrong
you want to be seen to be right
to the point where you get upset, angry and make enemies when others share a different opinion or don't agree with you
I get that!
It doesnt always mean that it is people who are arrogant, who are a show off, who was loud, in fact that is not it, it is simply identifiying with thoughts and structures and mindset and believe it with all of your mind.
Ain't that some wisdom??
I'mma leave that right here for y'all!
Catch that
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism