Simplicity as a Spiritual Practice

 




What I’m discovering is that spirituality is a practice of simplifying all forms of clutter and noise so that you can be with what arises. Danielle La Porte

I would say to people  "I am a simple but not a simpleton." I took it to mean that I liked simplicity as a way of life.
I chose not to fuss over many things, not ask many questions on the "how". I accepted what was in front of me and life went on. Knowing all of the details was not an absolute must.

What I have learnt is that simplicity goes beyond not asking questions and "fussing", simplicity is a way of life. 
I asked myself how many items do I purchase based on ego, habit or unconscious neediness?
How many items do I have in my home and surroundings that clutter up both my living space and my consciousness?
How many times do I make life difficult by wanting the details before they are known or available?
Living a simple life , I have learnt, is not easy. It takes a level of self trust and the ability to live from a space of uncertainty.
Simplicity allows for a flow, it allows for a life of freedom and non attachment. It is not for the faint hearted. We humans love nice things, gadgets, we also live in a time where there is always something to acquire to make us feel more of something - more desirous, more complete, more fit, more spiritual and the list go on. We all can use a little retail therapy! 
What about a simple life scares us? Are we defined by how much we have, how much we can have, how much we know?
Is that a scary concept for you?
See what happens when you clear your closets of clothes that you have not worn for years, shoes that no longer fit, purchase consciously.
See what happens when you decide that I am enough!
Peace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism