Get Out of Your Own Way

 The biggest obstacle that we all have to overcome to experience inner peace is our own reaction. It is easy to think that things outside of you are causing you mental pain and turbulence, but when you develop your self-awareness you start to see that what is driving the intensity in your mind is actually the relationship between your perception and your reaction. Yung Pueblo



One of my favorite lessons is "Get out of your own way" Yung Pueblo says it so well - our reaction has a part to play in determining our own peace of mind. Our reactions come from the way we feel about the matter at hand, the stories we make up and the perceptions that follow.

Lately I have found myself being caught up, upset and annoyed by more and more little things . Why? My reactions have been due to my perception of what is around me, to fear of repeating old mistakes and patterns and wanting my own way. I feel grateful  for the reminders that I have the power to make a different choice,  the power to ask myself, is this real or is this an illusion? Is this a made up story? Is it me wanting things my way? When I ask myself these questions I can now choose to respond differently. It takes a level of practice and awareness. Confessions on the Journey - I have been slipping up lately, I forgot to ask myself before responding! 

When we react based on perceptions, stories and emotions only, there is a tendency to search in your mind for a similar event that happened in the past, if that event was tied to a poor outcome there is a level of fear and attachment, because of that, we have a tendency to get attached to insisting on the outcome of exactly what we want and sometimes we don't always get what we want. 

Life is not without challenges, obstacles or differences. The journey is to find a space within yourself that your peace certain, the peace that passes all understanding. Having that process to find and locate inner peace helps the journey.

So... what are you doing and how are you being to get out of your own way.

Peace


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism