Acceptance or Tolerance?

You want to be ethical and loving and harmonious? Love you and love your values of love. Revere your heart. Change the world by most excellently respecting your own ideals. Raise your standards and the universe will meet you there. Danielle La Porte



One of the most important lessons on the journey is acceptance. Iyanla Vanzant defines it Acceptance does not mean you agree with, condone, appreciate, or even like what has happened. Acceptance means that you know, regardless of what happened, that there is something bigger than you at work. It also means you know that you are okay and that you will continue to be ok.

I can totally relate to this definition. Confessions on the Journey, I struggle to accept the things that I cannot control and do not like. I also know that when I resist the acceptance of it, especially when it has already happened, I suffer.

So the question I ask myself is am I accepting or am I tolerating?

Acceptance, despite being hard at times, brings me to a level of peace.

Tolerance, leads to resentment. 

Acceptance reminds me that the past cannot be changed and I can respond to what is knowing that I will be ok no matter what.

Tolerance sends me to a space of little communication of my feelings and the forgetting that I am okay.

What are you tolerating in your life? to keep the peace, to keep the relationship, to keep the job, to keep the appearance, to keep control?

You tolerate when you live in fear, forget that you will be okay and want to prove  yourself, want to be right.

You accept when the justifications, rationales and excuses are gone. You focus on the lesson, the accountability you require, the lessons.

You accept when faith and trust comes in to play when there is uncertainty and confusion. 

Daniele La Port asks "What on your “tolerance list” is lifting your life up, vs. what’s weighing it down

Peace


Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love


New Courses by Akosua

Sign up Now - Welcome to Self Awareness - Tools for The Journey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism