Some Responses are Gifts to Us

 

Sometimes responses are gifts to us - Minaa B



How well do you respond to feedback? How well do you respond to unsolicited feedback? I have learnt that feedback is a gift. I have also learned that when the feedback gets on my nerves its an even more important gift.

Let's face it, no one likes being told that they are doing something bad, wrong or ineffective. It becomes even more difficult when we spend time, effort and resources on that thing we are being told is bad and wrong.

Confessions on the Journey - I would take feedback very personally, I would internalize it, get wildly upset or totally withdrawn until I realized that I had a choice, that it was a gift and I get to choose what I do with the choice and the gift.

There were so many times that I did not do my best - when the feedback came I was defensive - I felt embarrassed to admit that I did not show up fully.

When feedback comes and I get defensive, attached and start justifying, I know that it is me avoiding hearing from anyone due to my own feelings.

I also have a choice to let the other person know that I am not open to feedback, this has also been hard to accept and say- not wanting to look like a jerk of course! Some people really do not have your own best interests at heart and can be plain ole' haters! Discernment is a great lesson here.

What I have learnt is to appreciate how gifts show up, and that I have the choice to use the gift in any way I see fit on this journey.

Peace


Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love


New Courses by Akosua

Sign up Now - Welcome to Self Awareness - Tools for The Journey



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism