I Shall Not Be Moved

However I am perceived and deceived, however my ignorance and conceits,
lay aside your fears that I will be undone,for I shall not be moved
. Maya Angelou





I consider Maya Angelou to be one of my famous aunties - you know the type that you never met, but you just know they are your aunty, and the advice they are giving out is really for you?
Well.... this is how I thought of Ms. Maya Angelou having received from my grandmother at the age of 13, Ms. Angelou's books and was told to read them during the day when granny went to work.
There and then I declared her Aunty Maya.
On her birthday, I read or listen to her interviews, to remind myself that there are great teachers and leaders out there who share their gift willingly with the world.
Today, as part of my celebration of Aunty Maya's birthday I want to share with you my top 5 lessons from her life and work

1. Say Thank You - in the midst of a storm, even while bawling your eyes out, stop and say Thank you because there is  a rainbow coming soon, a blessing and a lesson

2. Forgive and Release - let it go, that may not mean ever inviting them to your house or ever speaking to them again, it means setting yourself free of the past. It's done

3. Have courage and practice it - start small and build yourself up. Courage is the greatest of all virtues.

4. Have a place inside of you - for you- that no one can cross, no one can disrespect. And if they come close tell them or show them "back up" - this is my sacred space

5. Love, not mush or sentimentality will save you - Always

Happy Birthday Aunty Maya

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Redefinition of Lose