Showing up Real

 Choosing to show up as who we are might mean facing the projections others hold and no longer shapeshifting ourselves to avoid them. It might mean letting go of the comfort we might find in performing the roles we assume we must stay in to belong. It might mean facing the uncertainty of outcome, the potential for rejection or failure, the disapproval and disappointment. Yet what comes as a side effect of showing up as who we are has felt much bigger than all of that. Lisa Olivera 




Showing up...real has been a journey that I have embarked upon since my life changed a few years ago. The person I was then, or the person I believed I was then has changed. I felt a strong desire for people to see that and, in hindsight, fought so much both internally and externally for that. Sometimes in the fighting I lost focus on me, wanting to show and prove to others that I am no longer the person you believed I was. Back then, I wanted approval,  I wanted to be liked, I wanted to have and acquire. Since then, confessions - nothing much change with the wanting to be liked and getting approval, I was now looking and doing it in a different way. Hindsight is really an eye opener. As time passed and I put more effort in becoming self aware I learned that showing up as who we are takes no proving, no wanting to be liked by others and no pretense.  

Now as I grow and recognize that I have changed even further, I know that showing up real is rooted in intentions, it is grounded in making yourself proud, it comes from a space of knowing you you are. And from this space of being grounded and rooted, we can do what we need to do with a sense of peace, calm and love. There will be differences of opinions, there will be people who think of you in the past, there will be dissenters. When they appear because we are grounded we can keep an open mind knowing that we did our best, we showed up real and there is nothing more to prove.

Peace


Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism