The Power of the Pause

Affirm: I will direct my attention, focus, and time towards what expands me, evolve me, and grows me on all levels. I am owning my greatness from this moment on. Idil Ahmed




Last November I had the opportunity to visit Ghana on their Year of Return programme. 
The Year of Return, Ghana 2019 is an initiative of the government of Ghana that is intended to encourage African diasporans to come to Africa (specifically Ghana) to settle and invest in the continent.
This was my first time to Ghana, having lived and visited other countries on the East and South of the Continent, I was excited to see the West for the first time
Trust me, it did not disappoint. The people were friendly, the country is beautiful, being there filed me with a hope and a pride that I cannot even explain.
Visiting the Door of No Return was my highlight, 
As I exited the dungeon at the Cape Coast, where thousands of us passed the Door Of No Return to arrive in the Americas, I had to pause.
I had to pause to remember that the DNA in me has courage, resilence, determination, honour & grace.
I had to pause to be grateful to be here now & to have the opportunity to return.
I had to pause to remind myself to never take anything for granted.
I had to pause to remember the responsibility that I have to myself, to those who arrived here & made it possible for me to live this life that I now live. To remember the reponsibility that I have to leave this world better than I found it.
I had to pause to remind myself to know who I am. To absolutely stop dignifying nonsense.& to show up everywhere knowing that although I come as one I stand with tens of thousands.


Peace



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism