Journeying to Courage via The North Coast

 “I always forget how important the empty days are, how important it may be sometimes not to expect to produce anything, even a few lines in a journal. A day when one has not pushed oneself to the limit seems a damaged, damaging day, a sinful day. Not so! The most valuable thing one can do for the psyche, occasionally, is to let it rest, wander, live in the changing light of a room.” ― May Sarton




Last week, I took the opportunity to go off grid for a few days. For July's journey to courage, I set an intention to do more activities that I either make up stories about being hard, feel fearful of doing, or are completely new.

Petit Tacaribe is a slice of Paradise on the North Coast of Trinidad. The journey takes you via road through the long and windy roads of the North Coast past the famous Maracas Bay Beach, the lesser known Tyrico Bay, Las Cuevas (my weekly Saturday healing meditation spot) and Damian's Bay Blanchicheusse  - all beaches with long shorelines kissed by high mountains of green and hills. 

Following the drive past the beaches, you take a small boat for about thirty minutes down the bay with rock formations that all look like portals to another realm. Within that time you arrive at a cove where Lester - an old friend - who has lived off the grid for over fifteen years. Lester has made his home on a hill overlooking Petit Tacaribe - off the grid - there is no electricity lest a few lights powered by Solar, no phone reception, no cars (no roads0. Lester has two gardens where he grows his own food, he catches fish and lives the simplest of lives. The other option to get to Lester's spot is a 4 to 5 hour hike through the forest- I decided to return via the hike. 

Boats and I have never been friends - not only am I scared because I cannot swim, I puke my guts out when I am on them for any length of time. So with that in mind - I decide to get on this boat - doing something that scares me! 

The result was a blissful few days on the beach (minus feeling sick!), eating clean, and be-ing with me! Falling back in love with myself, patching my soul back into something that I am proud of.

I actually went into the ocean - another thing I don't usually do, I woke up each morning, watched the sun rise, walked, learnt to make coconut oil from scratch - from gathering the nuts to the finished product. The hike back was HARD - I literally fell over with the bag on my back, got off dusted myself and pressed on.

What are some of the stories that you tell your self you cannot do, you will not do because...

Its my personality

I don't like it

I get sick

many of which are laced with fear or lack of consciousness?

This is why I push myself to do new things - to show myself that I can! I have it all inside - its all in inside job right?

On this Journey to Courage, I continue to live out the intentions to fall in love with myself which will lead to loving others better . I continue to question the fears that raise its head telling me that it is ok to  justify nonsense, ok to deny Self, ok to make excuses . I continue to recognize that courage is not the absence of faith but the presence of faith.

Peace and Blessings

Akosua's Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism