Accceptance vs Resignation


Acceptance is different than resignation. In resignation, there are still residuals of the previous emotion left. There is reluctance and a delaying of the true recognition of the facts. Resignation says, “I don’t like it, but I have to put up with it.” With acceptance, resistance to the true nature of the facts has been relinquished; thus, one of the signs of acceptance is serenity.



One of the greatest lessons that I have learnt is the difference between acceptance and resignation.
I learnt that acceptance does not signal that I like the situation but I have embraced the reality that it exists in that moment and I cannot change it.
Acceptance is making peace with it
Resignation has some resentment tucked in there somewhere.
So I know that once I sense a feeling of anger, or bitterness of anxiety, that acceptance is not a state where I am, it is resignation.

Sometimes it is difficult to let go, to surrender, to accept
This is where I have to pull out other tools to get me there - affirmations, deep breaths, prayer.
These are where these tools come in handy- to get me to a space of peace.
Sometimes, the choice to accept in the moment is the only one that will allow us to move forward and make better decisions
Looking at how things actually is rather than what they should be saves us time and gives us clarity to move forward.
I love my peace, so I choose Acceptance
Peace

 Have you read any of Akosua's work?



Follow Akosua on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism