Ask Before you Jump in

 How many problems do you make your problem? Because helloooo, you're strong and powerful and resourceful and smart and able and...You can save them the pain of learning it the hard way. You can fix this. You can get them to the realization quicker. If they'd just listen to you it'd all get better. You can helpppppp.


You can if they want it. You can if they ask for it. You can if they come to you asking for what you know or have. But you can't solve, or fix, or help, or save them...for them. They have to do that work. It's not yours to do. And you'll make yourself sick and sad and frustrated and all the things because you kept trying and trying and trying to give until it fixed itself. But it won't. Because they have to do what they need to do. Maxi McCoy

What more can I say? It is quite difficult at times to stop ourselves jumping in to help others when we believe that they need help. Many times they have not asked, they have not shown any interest in being helped, but, as humans, we think its best to help and support one another.
We have to ask ourselves the motives, intentions and rationale behind the giving of help
If its grounded in shame, guilt, and resentment it will not turn out well, trust me.

I have learnt to ask "how can I support you?"
I have learnt to mind my business.
I have learnt to mind my business minus the guilt.
This guides me in giving support minus feeling depleted, resented and guilty.
Peace

Akosua's Latest Book is now available





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism