Journal Entry on Responsibility


What Did I Learn Today?


The elders call it so well that I have to sit up and pay attention. The discussion was on how does one takes responsibility for themselves. I was asked by a bunch of elders " how do you take responsibility for yourself?"

I thought to myself. Here comes another trick question, one where I might have to go away and think about it or maybe I can just give a “funny" answer so she can get straight to the point”

Ok, truth be told that day I was feeling self conscious.

I woke up early and was getting ready to head to base, My morning routine was as per usual. A cup of tea, iron my clothes and then leave to get to the base.

Lo and behold, electricity/power was cut off that morning!

This happens quite often and sometimes daily.

I silently curse because I have nothing ironed, I should know better right? Be prepared for no power, no electricity on a daily basis.

When there is power , put things in place!

So I roll into the base looking like a ramfle diva!

When the question is asked "how do I take responsibility for myself, I took it personally and it went straight to my head.

By now I should also know no one on the base cares about how one looks nor about if a question is taken personally

"Do you have an answer yet Nyabo?"

"Should I go away and come back with one?"
She laughed " you people think you are so smart!"
" Madam I can tell you this and when I am done you will know that I am absolutely right about you and it will make you start thinking and paying attention and stop moving through this journey like it’s just a job.
Just as you cannot eat next week’s bread now you cannot travel next week’s journey now, pay attention!"
"You, Madam Akosua Yaki, born on a Sunday, have a vested interest in your community and in the world. You are a full fledged citizen of them all. Your every thought, your every word and action has an impact on those around you and leaves a legacy for those who will follow you. You better get fully aware of the power to either create change or get over your discomfort of the support the status quo. You are willing but not sure how to accept your personal and collective responsibility of how society is ordered and governed. You will use your time, your resources and your voice to make the world a better place in which to live. That is how you take responsibility for yourself! You pay attention to who you are and what you have been put here, not here now, but HERE to do!"
What do you say to me now Madam smart one?
I say ok!

Peace

Akosua's Latest Book is Now Available




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism