Rest is Part of The Journey

We were rewarded for being willing to do more than our share
We were encouraged to stay busy.
As a result, we learned to inflict ourselves with self-imposed duties that ultimately lead to mental, physical and spiritual exhaustion - One Day My Soul Just Opened Up

Growing up, my mother would wake me up extremely early on a Saturday morning, I would be angry because I did not have school. I wanted the opportunity to sleep late, to laze around and get some rest after a packed week.

" No one in this house must be asleep after the sun has risen" was the standard response from her

"Huh?? why??" was my standard response to that response

The conversation never got any further, it was, do as I say or probably die!

Then I heard my grandma say the exact thing
"No one in this house must be asleep after the sun has risen"
Oh, it was adding up, it seemed to have been passed down from her generation.

I would have to wake up and do chores until after lunch... Every Saturday
Waking up late on a Saturday meant being lazy and trifling!
We should always be busy doing something - to do nothing proves laziness and slackness
The goal was to always be occupied
My argument was - when will there be rest
Rest is part of the journey
As soon as I started living on my own, sleeping late one day a week became a ritual, I still don't think that it makes me lazy and trifling.
I have seen as they have both grown older this type of thinking for my mum is now  less than before, she has managed to buy into the idea that pausing, resting and recharging is essential but more importantly, that it is not being lazy if you are not busy doing something
We have been conditioned to prove ourselves by the amount of things we do and tasks we have so much so that it leads to burnout and resentment.
Take time to rest, you wont be a lazy bugger if you do
You will be a rested and recharged soul.
Peace



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism