Thank you Aretha!

No, I don't regret a single moment, no, I don't
(I know you don't) Looking back
When I think of all those disappointments
I just laugh (I know you do), I just laugh - Aretha Franklin I knew you were waiting for me

Do you have a playlist?
I have a playlist, I named it positive vibez, I made it at a time when I was deep down in a muck. I felt that having some positive music in my ear out there in Manchester where I started my Phd programme would get through the days!
I must admit, it really raised my vibes tremendously.
I would listen to it to from my walk to school and work, on the train when I took trips up to London,while I was running. Everyday I had these wonderful tunes spurring me on.
When Aretha Franklyn passed, there were many tributes, I was listening to one and boom, I realised there and then quite a few of her tunes were on my positive vibes list.
I thought about Aretha and how much of an impact she had on the world through her voice, her songs, her life. How many of us dim our light to play safe, for fear of what others may think or say, because of outdated beliefs.
I know it would have taken immense courage to live a life of purpose, to live a life out in the open
Aretha reminded me to live on purpose, to live using that gift that God gave me knowing that there will be disappointments and challenges along the way, there will be people falling off the wagon, who cannot see the dream. Keep laughing, keep respecting, keep loving and keep showing up!
Thank you Aretha

You will remember my name!

Peace


Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism