Destination Addiction


Don’t get so caught up in the pursuit of happiness that you forget to feel happy on the way there - Gabrielle Tranor



This morning I read a piece and the focus was on "destination addiction". 
 It’s a term used to describe the belief that success and happiness is the destination: “Everything will be better once we’re in our new house,” “I’ll be successful when I can buy myself a new car,” “I’ll be happy when I can fit into a smaller pair of jeans.” Sound familiar?
 It means there’s a feeling of dissatisfaction, unhappiness even, with your life as it is currently. 
So, what I understood from reading about destination addiction is, to focus on the now, still keeping in mind your goals and objectives. Focus on where you are and you will see that not only are there many reasons to be grateful but there are many reasons to be happy. We miss the moment by looking at what is coming or what should be
It's funny how we "should" and "focus on the intangible" for things as opposed to taking the risks to get those said things
So we will want a better job and state all the reasons why we stay at the old one, and state how it should be but never line up the action to leave said job! It fascinates me how that works
So my destination is right here and right now, I get to focus on the wonderful things around me and be happy, I get to keep in mind that although things can be improved it is no reason to not be present in the moment.
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism