Ego Check

Now for the Ego Check. How do you know when you are being ruled by the negative ego? It’s simple. When you perceive life as a process of you against them or, believe they are out to get you; when your needs are more important than theirs or, when their needs are more important than yours, you are under the spell of the ego. Iyanla Vanzant 

This morning I was listening to a podcast on the Ego. I've had this love-hate relationship with the ego. I thought the ego was bad, that it would overtake my life and turn me into a monster- ok ok I know, I am being dramatic! 
The penny dropped this morning, the ego is a part of me, and as with everything that is a part of me, acceptance is essential for moving on and making decisions. The challenge with the ego is how I use and perceive it.
There is the positive ego and the negative ego.
As I was sitting there listening I reflected on last Friday where I truly lost my cool because I did not agree at all with what was being said on a panel that I sat on to discuss women's issues. I realised there and then that people are entitled to their differences of opinion, how I react is my responsibility. Differences can teach us respect, it can teach us tolerance and it shows us that we live in a diverse world
My ego told me that my view was right! I wanted to prove to everyone there that I was indeed right. Everyone else was wrong- talk about the Ego trip!

The ego operates in our mind and can take over how we perceive the world, it is important to do an ego check ever so often to remind us that we have power over our thoughts and responses despite what is going on around us, that our judgements are not reflective of the entire story and most times people are doing the best that they can
We can disagree without being disrespectful
We can live our lives and think thoughts that will not diminish our own self value
Instead of using the inner critic to assist in making decisions, use our divine selves
It takes practice, it takes courage, it takes willingness
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?
What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism