Guilt is a Wasted Emotion

The idea is not to judge yourself, or even analyze what happened. It is simply natural (un-natural, really) for us to become afraid of being at peace, and therefore we will do things that bring about the opposite state.Not judging yourself means you are forgiving yourself, and forgiveness is the only answer that leads to peace. ACIM

Reading A Course in Miracles during my journey, time and time again the teachings insist that guilt is a wasted emotion. I did not get it. I kept asking myself how can guilt be wasted? Isn't all emotions valid? I was just not sure how guilt is a wasted emotion. I kept asking myself - what am I missing?
And then, like clockwork, the fog started clearing. Guilt is always disruptive, it is the voice of the ego ego. The ego believes in separation and so condones guilt. Delusional ideas are not real, but they can be believed, when they are believed the relevant actions follow. 

There are only two emotions, love and fear. Guilt is a form of fear. It all made perfect sense now. Guilt is a wasted emotion because it is rooted in fear and ego.
When we are guilty we look for punishment, and if we don't get it from outside we punish from the inside, we punish ourselves.

I have learnt that when a feeling of guilt comes, judgement follows and forgiveness should go right after that.

Simple just like that!
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism