The Mirror is Your Friend

Essentially, the bottom line cause of break-ups and divorce is when one or both of the partners can no longer stand to see themselves in the other person. Dr Edrica Richardson

I continue to be fascinated by the concept that all of my relationships are mirrors, the good and the not so good within my personality is reflected back to me through the people that I have in my life, the people I like and the ones that I a have challenge liking. The reflections that I have difficulty in accepting are the things that show me where I need to grow, heal, release judgement and let go.

It makes perfect sense to me now that I feel so angry, helpless and sometimes even guilty when I don;t fancy someone.  The anger and such shows that I am really feeling that way about myself, I am having difficulty with the reflection. 

Now I can say that the mirror is really showing me where I have open wounds or unresolved issues. How marvellous is that, how wonderful it is to know when  people who frustrate us or make us unhappy leave our lives it usually means that the would is healed?

If we look at it that way then it makes the pain a little easier to bear.

The mirrors also show us our beliefs, some of which are harmful to us. We have all acquired certain beliefs throughout our lifetime that cause us to react and act in certain habitual ways that either support us or don't. 
The problem is that you did not consciously choose many (if not any) of those beliefs that govern your experiences and relationships at the subconscious level. Instead, your beliefs were, unbeknown to you, handed to you by society, the media, your parents and your friends. There are also those beliefs that came part and parcel with your culture and upbringing, and the stricter your culture in the area of relationships, the more ingrained those specific beliefs. 

Since your relationships are based on those beliefs, your experiences only prove to re-enforce them for you, thereby creating something of a virtuous or vicious cycle depending on whether your beliefs support a healthy and balanced relationship or not.

Now that I have learnt about mirrors I can now pay attention to how I treat myself, when I do this the people around me will reflect that.
I can also reduce the judgement that I  hold about others within my circle and those outside.
Peace
Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism