Back on Home Soil

Your subconscious mind will try to stop you from taking uncomfortable actions. It will use fear, doubt, rationalization and excuses in order to convince you to not take action. Why? In order to protect you from imagined or real pain. Persist nevertheless. Gal Shapiro

I was very concerned about flying to Ghana on this solo trip. Not only did I not know anyone, my budget was tighter than a rubber band on a waist line! I talked myself out of going many many times.
Then one morning I just booked the ticket.
As I booked it, ideas just started coming to me
Why not ask James if he knew of anyone in Accra that I could speak to for tips? James is a person I met during last year who was born in Accra but now lived in the US. I sent him a message and immediately he responded telling me that his sister in law works for a tour company. She arranged everything with so much care and patience that when I arrived I absolutely felt welcomed and well taken care of.

Everything was not perfect, I could not use any of my cards nor withdraw any cash.
I had to find a solution and fast, especially as I found out whilst at dinner- well after eating the meal of lovely yam and fish
The restaurant was accommodating!
I called the bank home- they had blocked the cards, it would be sorted tomorrow

The lesson I learnt, do the thing, learn as you go. There will never be the perfect time not the perfect plan

As I left Ghana, I felt a renewed sense of purpose, it helped me not think about my long trip home from Ghana to Burkina Faso to Paris to New York to Trinidad. It would take me two days to get back on home soil safe in the knowing that when we have a burning desire to do something a way would be made with lessons to learn along the way on to who we are becoming
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Follow Akosua on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism