Everything ain't for Everybody

performing, contorting, and molding for approval never brings the embodied sense of belonging we so hope it does. Lisa Olivera 



On Saturday I was invited to speak at an event at the University of the West Indies. The theme was mental health. When I saw the theme I immediately thought- what do I know about mental health? I was on the verge of declining. The conversation was going really well and I realized that I would really like to be a part of a movement which allows for healing in an authentic way. I said Yes, Yes to doing something that scared me, yes to showing up and saying what I felt was important on my own journey towards healing and yes to doing something new. 

News flash - there will be people who your story will not resonate with, people who cannot relate and plain ole don't like the sight and sound of you. Do what you do anyway. Your message, story, work, purpose is not for them and will bless others.

This was a hard concept for me to learn, truth be told, I want everyone to like me. The moment I started paying attention to those who don't I lost focus.

The lessons I learnt from going ahead and showing up to share authentically are:

1. Be intentional 

2. I have zero control over what people think and ought not to manipulate any situation nor worry about it.

3. Be myself, have fun, be kind

4. Learn from the mistakes, be open to feedback

5. Everything is not for everybody!

Peace


Akosua's Books

Nyabo (Madam) Why Are You Here?

Now What? The Flipside

What Did I Learn Today? Lessons on the Journey to Unconditional Self Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism