Ten Lessons from Being in the Forest


Over the last ten days, I had the opportunity and privilege to spend time in the Forest with the Maroon people of Suriname.  The Maroons are descendants of Africans who fled the colonial Dutch forced labour plantations in Suriname and established independent communities in the interior rainforests.  They live in the Forest, with the river within walking distance. There are no cars, everything is done with their boats. Rivers, rapids, creeks and streams play a huge part in their living.

The traditions are respected and kept.

The  Saramaccan tribe hosted me with so much love and joy.

What Did I Learn?

1.  Simple is not always easy - the simple life, the traditions, the choices we make takes self -discipline and self-awareness. Self-discipline is based on self-acceptance .It is very easy and tempting to follow the crowd, follow what is convenient, what is easy. Life is simple, we choose to make it complicated.

2.  Moving slowly allows me to be in the moment - rushing around, getting the result, getting to the solution. Rushing is a reflection of what is going on inside - anxiety, judging self etc

3. I can do anything for a little while, I can do hard things - I had to paddle the boat, bathe in cold water, let go of control on a small manmade boat on a daily basis- scared as I was , I did it.

4. Mother Nature has EVERYTHING that we need. Every.Single.Thing!

5. My ancestors are badass warriors - this is in my DNA. I can tap into this at anytime. They live in me, thank you for the reminder. 

6.  Some things are for my eyes and my consciousness to share only through how I live, what energy I give. Not being able to take pictures was hard at first- the women did not want pictures of their ceremonies, of their daily living. I immersed myself in it. Not being "connected" to the outside world was a cleansing.

7. When you don't know who you are, chances are you don't know what you want. When you don't know what you want, anything that looks good can pull you in. Know who you are!

8.  Keep some traditions, they ground you. Let go of those that grind you.

9.  Everything requires balance - even on the boat.

10. It does not have to be perfect to be impactful, to be useful, to be progressive. Start it with love, purpose, focus and no self-judgement. Lessons on the Journey.


Peace



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism