Difficult Conversations

Remind yourself that if you think you already understand how someone feels or what they are trying to say, it is a delusion. Remember a time when you were sure you were right and then discovered one little fact that changed everything. There is always more to learn.”  Douglas Stone


Difficult conversations are just that, difficult!
I still avoid them like the plague, less so now
As a recovering people pleaser I abolutely cringe in making peole who I like or respect mad. I know, I know, it is part of life that everyone will never see eye to eye with all our philosohies and beliefs. That is all well and good in theory, in the real world it scares the bejesus out of me! I usually dance around it and skip around it until what happens? either shit hits fan or the person disappears from my circle. Both scenarious that could have been avoided with only a willingness to be vulnerable.
Vulnerability takes a whole heap of guts, let me tell ya!
So here is what I have learned in having difficult conversations:

1. Be willing to be wrong.

2. Show up real.

3. Be willing to walk away

4. Don't hide your feelings- feel them

5. Know that you cannot please anyone.

6. Be fully engaged.

Peace




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism