Setting Boundaries

Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others. Brene Browne

My friends, I have missed you! How have you been?
I have been on a Journey to Boundaries
Yes, I said it!!
Over the past few days I have been on the road where I had to not only set some boundaries, but enforce them
Confessions on the Journey - Its downright darn challenging for me to set and keep boundaries. I want to be a nice person, I want people to like me, I want to avoid conflict, so I ignore a lot
but what I have learnt is that if I want all those things at the expense of my self respect and peace, then that's just downright plain ole crazy making behaviour
And so the Universe is divinely timed to show us where we are, through sending people and situations
Boundaries are invisible lines which you draw that determine the things you accept from yourself and others. Boundaries require discipline, honesty and the willingness to make some tough decisions
When someone crosses a boundary that you have set, what are you willing to do?
Before this week I would hardly ever enforce the conditions that came with stepping over the line, I would let it build up and then either explode or never speak to the person again! That now takes too much energy and very little courage
Setting boundaries also taught me about having hard or awkward conversations ( do it with kindness and love)
So, I enforced the consequence and guess what? I am still alive! I was willing for the other person to be pissed off, to deal with that and to learn from it all
So, I will continue to practice this and you now what they say, practice makes masters

Join Akosua at Heart Fire


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism