Press Forward

Personal greatness, and your sense of emotional security, are not mutually inclusive . . . you must step away from comfort at times to achieve your personal greatness. Part of the landscape of these achievements, like learning to walk and talk, requires being very bad before becoming really good. Being bad at something before you’re good is embarrassing, and embarrassment presents an emotional risk . . . psychology says it’s life’s greatest fear. To press forward, steps beyond anything considered normal; steps beyond anything commonly considered emotionally comfortable, and stretches all of your preset limits. Guru Singh


The fear of failing. What am I defining as failing in this instance? 
Doing anything new that involves the public and their opinion terrifies me. If II have to plan and execute an event with me as the person who is supposed to draw the crowd, it scares me because I equate the number of people that come to the event as a direct reflection on me and my abilities. 
Doing anything new that involves exercise too, oh dear - blown out my comfort zone with a cannon.
I am learning to embrace the discomfort as part of growth
I am learning to embrace all the anxiety as part of the lessons
I am learning that when an idea comes to me either through divine download or through someone presenting it to me, and I feel a combination of excitement and nerves , that is a go. The fear is part of the package
If the idea comes to me and I feel totally unease, I know to pause. Pausing can sometimes be as hard as pressing play, especially if the ego is involved, because the ego has lots to prove and wants to do it immediately.
Discerning between the both means paying attention and being aware.
It also means being willing to be embarrassed while new things are happening.
And being comfortable with some discomfort.
Press forward and remember that all things are lessons that God would have us learn
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism