Letting Go of Attachments brings Peace of Mind

In truth, possessions don’t make us safer — they only give the illusion of security. Having more things around you doesn’t make it more likely you’ll survive tough financial times. Zen Habits

Over the last few days, I have been thinking about the things, people and beliefs that I am attached to and why?
How do they improve or affect the way I live?

I have learnt that the attachment to something, someone or a belief can be a form of fear particularly when in the moment one does not want to let go. Even if holding on is harming us.

I started asking myself - what am I afraid to let go of?
It as a tad bit hard to admit the answers honestly to myself but when I did come around to facing it my answers were:

1. My definition of what success is
2. My youth and health

I know now, that I am afraid of growing old and unhealthy and not achieving my dreams.
Having come to terms with these answers, I went on to further ask myself - what is the worst that can happen- after contemplating that for a while it became easier to reckon with it knowing that the fear of it is bigger than the reality of what may happen, because we just never know! 

We think when we let go we will lose something important, we think we are giving up. The truth is, letting go is a form of strength, it makes room for new and gives peace of mind. Knowing that whatever happens will be a lesson or a blessing opens the door for being grateful for every experience even if it is not fun!
So what are you attached to?
Peace
Come Join us in Guyana



Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Follow Akosua on

Facebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism