Feelings

Good, bad, okay are not feelings. Disappointed, terrified, anxious are feelings. Iyanla Vanzant

When someone asks me "How Are You?" I usually say I am good, or well. Thinking about it now, itis a mindless or route reaction. It most times does not represent how I am or what I am feeling at that particular point in time.
Coming to think about it, I have resisted stating how I feel for a number of reasons:

1. Fear - of letting people know how I really feel to avoid judgement and questions
2. People Pleasing - to let one feel that I have it all together 
3. Not wanting to answer hard questions
4. Denial 
5. Not paying attention to how I feel
6. Not knowing how to describe the feelings
7. Not wanting to be negative

The lessons this week have been learning and becoming aware of how I feel  so that I can be aware of the feelings. I don't have to do anything immediately about them, just the awareness allows me to be in a space where I know. Once I know then I can act accordingly. 
I have also learnt about resisting the temptation to judge others and myself about my feelings
Feelings are guides. They give us information. They do not own us, nor do we have to always act alone from that space.
Feelings also can show us when we are making decisions that are routine and uninformed. If we are willing to ask ourselves, how do you feel in this particular moment and be totally honest about it.
And of course, know how to express those feelings, name them and sit with them for a minute.
because...this too shall pass
Peace


Have you read any of Akosua's work?



Follow Akosua on
Facebook



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism