How we think can make all the difference in what happens next

What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we've learned as we've moved toward that dream. That's the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one 'dies of thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon. Every search begins with beginner's luck. And every search ends with the victor's being severely tested."
- Paulo Coelho, from his best-selling book The Alchemist.
Back in Kampala! I passed through London, I stopped over for a day and one of my mentors from London contacted me, I haven’t heard from her in AGES! And just like that I get a message from her! I thought ok you have learnt that there are no coincidences in life so there must be something more going on here so let’s follow up on this! I jump on the train and I go to the offices which helped transform my life a few years ago. A place where women refugees from East Africa, Bangladesh and Pakistan came in as what they were labelled “refugees” and left with businesses and sometimes more important self esteem, meaning to their life and a sense of purpose! It felt so good to be there!
She met me we went out for a coffee and she said to me what are you doing in Trinidad? Then I realised it’s been a while! Told her that I was in Uganda and what I was doing and I just saw her face lit up! She said “well, well, what do you know” We are doing a project in Somalia and you are close by it’s perfect for you!!
In a fishing village in Somalia, 300 families are on the brink of extinction due to lack of facilities, the way they earn cash is from a ship that comes from Yemen on an adhoc basis sometimes once every three months. When the ship comes they sell the fish they catch and live off those funds until the next time. She asked me to get involved with the village and work towards a more sustainable model! I am pretty excited about it, having an impact on 300 families to me is awesome! We start soon!
So what did I learn?
There are really no coincidences in life! The call was made, I paid attention and responded! This simple shift in how we think can make all the difference in what happens next. How we think releases an infinite number of possibilities that could not have occurred had we not believed that they were possible.
Peace!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism