It's an Inside Job

Never make anyone else responsible for your happiness. Iyanla Vanzant

Happiness is an inside job. I have read that, I have heard that but I have never really felt that until now. The responsibility for my happiness lies with me.
When I depended on external events and people for happiness, I was left wanting. If they did not do the thing that "would make me happy" I would be sad.

If my football team won I would be happy, if they lost I would be in such a foul mood.

If the weather was warm- happiness, if it was not- sourness!
So confusing to my system.
I was willing to make my happiness my own job, it took some practice but this is what I did:
1. I wrote down what make me happy that I could do for myself when sliding in the pool of sourness
2. I practised what was on the list - every day I did one thing that made me happy
3. I let go of the result, of wanting things my way when I have no control, things like the weather, the football game - nothing to do with me. The football took some practice though I must admit
Those 3 simple steps truly changed my outlook and of course my mood.
I think it was more than just me that benefited from the shift!
Peace

Have you read any of Akosua's work?


Follow Akosua on





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism