Question Your Beliefs

 Most of our beliefs are not our own until we question them - Myles Scott

There are times when we absolutely have to question some of the beliefs we hold. When the beliefs we hold in our lives, no longer serve us, questioning them helps us to  navigate a way forward that better serves us. The process of questioning  your beliefs however, can be tricky. The process may involve questioning people in your life,  questioning what they told you as gospel and how you lived for the majority of your life.

As a child, I was told and believed as a child that if did something bad,  a snake and Jesus would appear and strike me down and bit me, I lived in fear of that for a long time then I realized that this was so not true! When I did I was so angry that people in my family would tell me such a blatant and scandalous lie. Why would they do that? In that process, I had to learn about questioning a belief that had me living in fear, forgiveness and creating my own moral code. Lots of lessons from the one process of questioning what you believed was the way to live and the truth. 

What are some of the beliefs that you still hold that you resist but do it because its easier and all that you know?

Another story I was told growing up - don't let the sun meet you asleep, it signaled that you are lazy especially on a Saturday. A Saturday was meant for chores and errands to be done early. That haunted me for a while until I moved to another country and became room mates with people from different parts of the world. We would go out partying on a Friday night and I would be up before the sun on Saturday, they would ask me why don't you rest? we had a long week and long night. All I could say was I did it this way all my life up to now. But you are tired and sleepy! its not working for you! Complete wake up call!

Beliefs can change, Beliefs can shift, what we believe shows up in our lives, in how we live, in what we tolerate, in what we allow

They are simply, quite important

Important enough to review them especially when they no longer serve you

Peace

Now What? Akosua's new book launches in March 2021

Now What? New Book Out Pre Order 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism