Are You An Emotional Avoidant?

An emotional avoidant is someone who goes out of their way to "not feel." They deflect conversations that evoke an emotional response. They change the subject often. They also tend to make jokes about serious situations. They act silly. Sometimes they get angry or defensive. And sometimes they're just too fucked up to emote... real talk.  Stacey Herera

Isn't it easier just to not feel, to keep avoiding a situation that can lead to confrontation, change, new things? It keeps us in a place where we already know rather than pushing us into uncertainty - something we have no control over and not know
Who likes pain anyway? Who likes to change the routine
And that is precisely what we are being called to do when we reach to a point where emotions are being avoided.
Someone very important to me asked me last week to "pay attention to my feelings" who knew? I was on autopilot? doing the same thing over and over getting the same results
You see if I pay attention to them I would have to make a decision, to make a change, to look the thing dead in the eye and call it, to own it
I wasn't ready
Or I thought I wasn't
I was born ready!
We were all born ready
Getting out of my own way requires a firm decision, committment, discipline and being gentle. all of which I can do
all of which you can do
so let's do this
Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Things I Believe

What Does Support Look Like to You?

Sensible Optimism